World Water Day occurs on the 22nd of March each year, and centres around celebrating water and raising awareness of the 2 million people living without access to safe drinking water. For World Water Day 2022, the theme is Groundwater. Almost all of the liquid freshwater in the world is Groundwater, so it is imperative that we protect it.
Reduce your water usage, don’t restrict
- Turn the tap off while you’re brushing your teeth
- Use leftover water from the previous night to water household plants
- Try skipping the bath, and rather hop in the shower.
- Don’t use your toilet as a dustbin
- Invest in a water butt that connects to your drainpipe in your garden
- Don't run your washing machine until you have a full load
- Don't run your dishwasher until it's full
Protecting Ground Water Tips
- Reduce chemical usage in your garden and home
- Dispose of harmful chemicals appropriately, not down drains
- Try to use non-toxic/natural products around the house where you can
- Store fuels & chemicals safely, ensure there are no leaks
- Ensure septic systems are inspected regularly